Friday, March 6, 2009

Rainier Beach Teachnology...

I am passionate about inner city students. I have always been drawn to those who no one else believes in... those who everyone else forgets. Unfortunately, because people forget them, they often forget to give them the same materials for education other public schools have access to. Sad but true.

I went to Rainier Beach High School. They had a projector, a few whiteboards, and what looked like a stereo system. This isn't exactly what you call the latest technology. However, in talking to the teacher, many of the students do not have access to computers. They do not have one at home. Their parents do not have one, and if they did the parents may be gone too much to even let their son or daughter use it.

So my question is this: How do you meet the kids where they are but encourage them to use more technology? Where do those schools get money to attain technology?

No comments:

Post a Comment