This article was insightful and practical. I knew students were technologically savy, but I had no idea they used technology so much. The statement “Compared to us, I believe their brains have developed differently,” says Sheehy. “If we teach them the way we were taught, we’re not serving them well” is so true. We do try to teach the old way so much, because the old way is what we know. Let's face it. Teachers are busy and often do not spend time coming up with ways to learn more about technology. But it appears if we do not use technology to this generation, we might as well be speaking a foreign language to our students. We need to discover their language.
I also really enjoyed the practical ways of encorporating technology into the classroom. I had never thought of using a podcast before or creating a social network. That is such a good idea. The more the students can be unified the better, and the more the teacher can connect to the students the better. I am really realizing how effective technology is as a connection tool for the classroom. Granted, students will use technology on their own, but they can also use it collaborately, listen to it collaborately, and view it collaborately. They can even discuss it with one another using technology. This article was definitely an eye opener.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with the author that students' brains have developed differently. Well, I shouldn't assume that this is scientifically truthful, but I think what the author was saying is that children learn differently now as a product of their environment. This puts teachers at a disadvantage, especially those who became teachers because of the great experience they had in school. I can still remember some things my 6th grade teacher did in her class, and I want to repeat those things for my own students someday, but I have to remember that they might not appreciate the same things I did, because their little minds have changed so much since I was in 6th grade!
ReplyDelete