Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"Interactive Whiteboards Enhance Project-based Learning" H. Ellwood (2008)

This article gave lots of ideas on how to use a smartboard. In additon, it also noted values in using interactive technology such as a smartboard within the classroom environment. I believe this is true, but I believe there is a danger to switching completely to a technological classroom. If the classroom becomes completely technological, there will not be use for textbooks or books. Granted, you could use E-books, but that has a flaw as well. I know for me, I like holding a book. I like underlining in it, writing in it, and making diagrams in it. You lose this with electronic books. In addition, elements such as writing and drawing can be used on a smartboard, but there is value in doing it maually as well.
Really, I believe a balance is needed. It cannot be one or the other. As educators we should be hoping to educate in every possible way, and we should be seeking to appease every possible learning style. One or the other will not offer this, but both, as cliche as this may sound, will enhance learning.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on this one--I love the idea of holding a book. Even though I have been familiar with a computer for as long as I can remember, I still like to print articles so that I can have something in my hands. And I have not sold any of my textbooks since starting here at NU. I just love them too much! :) I really hope teachers continue to see the value in books. But you're right--a balance is needed. Technology is just as important!

    ReplyDelete