Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Word, Excel, and PowerPoint...

What I use in Word...
  • Font features
  • Spacing features
  • Bold, Italics, Underlining
  • Paragraph spacing
  • Coloring
  • Bullets, Lists, Numbering
  • Spell Check
  • Tables
  • Headers / Footers
  • Page Numbers
  • Indentation
  • Footnotes
  • Captions
  • Thesaurus
  • Print Layout
  • Zoom in / Zoom out

Features I use in Excel...

  • Font settings
  • Coloring
  • Bold / Underline / Italics
  • Spacing
  • Various Formats
  • Cut and Paste
  • Insert / Delete
  • Tables
  • Columns
  • Lines
  • Margins
  • Size
  • Heighth, Width, Scale
  • Spell Check
  • Page Layouts
  • Zoom in / Zoom out

Features I use in PowerPoint...

  • Slides
  • Title / Regular Text
  • Layout
  • New Slide
  • Picture
  • Different views of slides
  • Background Picture
  • Colors
  • Fonts
  • Slideshow
  • Timing of Slideshow
  • Spell Check

Three projects I could assign students...

1) A research paper... This allows the students to use various aspects of Word. I could require certain spacing, a specific way of citing information, and a creative title page. This way the students could explore Word a little more.

2) A comparison sheet of three different characters... I could have the students use Excel to lay out their comparisons on three different characters. They could lay out the varying information within columns and list where they came to that conclusion (what page number). This would be an easy way to organize their thoughts while getting them to explore Excel a bit more.

3) A presentation... The student can present his or her presentation using PowerPoint. I could require both information and visual aids with their presentation. They can fufill both of these with PowerPoint, as well as adding music. This would be a way they can organize their presentation, while giving an alluring presentation to the audiance. Also, both the presenter and the rest of the class are exposed to PowerPoint this way.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your project ideas to get students more comfortable with the different types of programs. I have a feeling projects like these are going to be a little bit more difficult to do in a school such as Rainier Beach, because of their lack of technology use and support. I guess you could do different activities as a class when you are in that particular situation. It will be interesting to talk to both of our teachers about the integration of technology. Something tells me that there is not much effort put forth to increase technology use in the school.

    ReplyDelete